Read from our ambitious techies working on Sky Mobile as they share what they’re working on and how important it’ll be for our future
"I’m passionate about mobile networks - so being able to have such an active and important role in the deployment of a new mobile network is something amazing"
Project name: Sky Mobile - as one of the most important services providers in the UK, we’ve decided to launch our own mobile service. Being able to be part of the teams that are “creating” all this from scratch, is super exciting and interesting and is very important for our future.
Who’s working on it? The success of this project is a joint effort. Teams who’ll be involved include: Network Development, IP Test and Delivery, Mobile Design, Mobile Test and Delivery, Network Strategy and Architecture, IP Services Support and Mobile Support.
Learn a bit more about our teams working on Sky mobile:
- Team name: Test and Delivery
- What does your team do within the department? We have implemented, tested and validated the mobile PS Core from scratch, and are responsible for implementing and testing any further required changes. This includes integration and testing of a broad set of different network elements. We also carry out load performance testing, making sure the network can work seamlessly under high load conditions.
- What’s been your team’s biggest achievement or proudest moment? The proudest moment was when regression testing started, after almost a year of everyone working together we delivered the project on time and with the highest quality. Seeing all different pieces integrated in the network and working as expected together was fantastic. I was really proud of being able to use my simcard instead of one from O2/EE/Vodafone!
- Name: Michael
- Job Title: Mobile Test and Delivery Engineer
- What’s your role within the team? I lead the implementation and testing of the mobile PS Core. Responsible for testing the correct integration and interoperability of all the above mentioned elements, and to make sure everything is configured and working according to design.
- What’s the most enjoyable thing about working in this team and at Sky? You don’t build a new mobile network from scratch every day! I’m passionate about mobile networks, so being able to have such an active and important role in the deployment of a new mobile network is something amazing. I don’t think many people have the opportunity to be part of a challenging project like this one. But it’s not only that, it’s also the fast pace with which projects are moved forward and the possibility to be a real player in the project, being able to take important responsibilities and to make important decisions.
- Team name: IP Network Development
- What does your team do within the department? We design IP network for Sky Network Services data centres. That includes working on network design/development/security for our IP Core, Edge, content delivery and data-centre network.
- What’s been your team’s biggest achievement or proudest moment? It’s a very hard choice to pin down our team's biggest achievement as it’s a team with quite a few brilliant and experienced engineers in network design and security. However, we were really excited when we designed a strategic network management data centre for Sky Network Services from scratch and it went live!
- Name: Hung
- Job Title: IP Network Development Engineer
- What’s your role within the team? I own the network design of two data centres - one provides services to all Sky broadband subscribers and one provides management and monitoring services for our internal network. I also do network design for data centre related parts of Sky Mobile networks.
- Name: Mufaddal
- Job Title: IP Network Development Engineer
- What’s your role within the team? My work involves translating the business and architectural specifications into network requirements and creating high & low level designs for our IP Core, Edge and content delivery networks.
- What’s the most enjoyable thing about working in this team and at Sky?
- Sky Mobile: A greenfield project in which our team was part of the design of the entire MVNO network from the very start. This was definitely a big achievement where most of the team members had a part to play in different stages of the project. It was a first time experience for most of our members. It was a proud moment for all of us when we had our first test call and data session.
- Peering & Transit Upgrade: This has a special place in my list, as it’s one of my first projects and provided me with the understanding on how we provide internet connectivity to our customers and the various ingress/egress policies.
- Route-Reflector upgrade: As expected, this involved changes around the entire network and stretched on for months. It was definitely a team effort as most of our team was involved and had the best people working around to make it successful and incident free.