Magdalena, Finance Summer Placement Intern was surprised with the range of work the Finance team does here
Early Careers posted on 11 Jan
“As cliché as it sounds- be yourself on your application. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t had any finance experience, or any financial knowledge, there are people from so many different backgrounds here.”
- Name: Magdalena
- University studied at, course and graduation: University of Bristol, Law, Graduate in 2016
- Describe your role in one word? Eye-opening. Challenging. Fast-paced. Rewarding. Fun. Diverse- Had more to say than just one word.
- Where did you hear about the summer placement/what prompted you to apply? The Bright Network website. I knew about Sky so thought it would be an interesting company to work for. I definitely didn’t realise just how big the Finance team here was when I applied! Sky also sponsor Bright Futures, a student-led society that I was the Events Manager for, so I knew that they were interested in recruiting students from diverse backgrounds and a wide range of university courses. I’d always been interested in becoming a chartered accountant, so thought a summer placement in finance would be a step in the right direction. The Finance Graduates here also work towards the CIMA qualification and I knew that this is what I wanted to do in the future.
- What did you work on whilst on the Finance Summer Placement? I was based in Home Service and Supply (HSS) and my role focused on the finances regarding engineers. The HSS team are responsible for all costs associated with engineer visits, the differing lengths and times of visits; engineer uniforms; equipment; top box costs; training for engineers. I was worked with the other interns. We had 6 weeks to come up with a solution to a problem we’d been set. We created a project plan and then delivered our solutions and findings to a Director and Head of Finance.
- What did you do on a day-to-day basis? Every day we worked on our project with the other interns, so this involved scheduling conference calls and meetings so that we could talk to the other interns in the Customer Service Group who were based in Scotland. There were also lots of opportunities to shadow people across all areas of finance. I spent one morning shadowing the editor of the Finance and Business bulletins for Sky News. I also shadowed colleagues working in Finance at Sky Sports, Sky Movies, and spoke to colleagues who’d been involved in the acquisition with Sky Italia and Sky Deutschland.
- What did you enjoy the most about working here? I don’t have one best thing- there are so many things I loved! During my time I shadowed some of the call center staff. I also had the chance meet grads and ask questions about their experience on the graduate scheme. I spent an afternoon at The Gherkin, where I had a chance to watch the Ian King Show being filmed live. We also had the chance to go on a tour of the Sky Studios.
- What surprised you most about working at Sky? How much the finance team is involved in all decision-making. Finance is at the heart of any thriving business, and here the team is central. What also surprised me is what a wide range of work the Finance team does. I hadn’t realised how much work they do, and that there is a designated finance team for each department here. Also everyone who works at Sky is so friendly and helpful. They would reply to any queries you have and you don’t feel scared asking for help or advice.
- What would your advice be to applicants? As cliché as it sounds- be yourself on your application. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t had any finance experience, or any financial knowledge, there are people from so many different backgrounds here and you have training in your first week of the placement too. The placement was so much fun, and the 6 weeks flew by, we were all sad to leave! Sky is all about their people; so just let your personality and interests shine through!